Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fire in SuphanBuri!!

On Monday during training, we saw a pretty mammoth billow of black smoke coming from some not so distant spot in the city. I came to find on my way home that it was right across the street from my hotel. Twenty four dwellings and shops were burned down in the fai (fire) which started from an electrical fire in a lumber business.
People were flocking to the scene . . . a big deal in this town. I took some pictures which are somewhat surreal. I couldn't get over the ominous sky. Today I shot some pictures of the aftermath.
They have set up rescue tents with food and water, etc. Here are some pictures;




Locals and Mike viewing the fire squelching efforts.




Emergency and police finishing up a long day of fire fighting.




An ironically enchanting photo considering the subject.










The aftermath.

It is hard to see all of these families displaced, but everyone is helping each other out and the spirit is still warm. Suphan Buri is a tough and resilient town and that's just how they roll . . . with the punches.

No comments: